Purple candle: living with suicide grief
Blue candle: living with suicide thoughts, self-harm, attempts
Yellow candle: supporting suicidal loved ones
So many have more than one of those experiences.
Especially to: Kansas City-Lawrence-Topeka Area Friends
Re: Reducing suicide risk by helping people thrive
- Healing After Suicide: for adults with loved ones who have died by suicide. Healing suicide grief reduces suicide risk. Meets every other Tuesday evening from 6:30-8:15pm More info at https://MarciaEpstein.biz
- Stayin’ Alive: for adults with suicide thoughts, self harm or attempts. Meeting schedule varies. https://www.facebook.com/Stayin.Alive.Lawrence.KS
- Thriving Family-Friends: for adults with suicidal loved ones. Meeting schedule varies. https://www.facebook.com/Thriving.FF.Lawrence.KS
- For info on Kansas City area groups: SASS-MoKan, Suicide Awareness Survivor Support, Kansas City area http://www.sass-mokan.com/
- For info on the group that meets in Topeka: HeALS Topeka, Healing After Loss To Suicide https://www.facebook.com/HEALsTopekaArea/
- For info about suicide bereavement and about groups in other parts of USA: from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention https://afsp.org/find-support/ive-lost-someone/
1) For those of you who are mental health caregivers, who have experienced the suicide death of a colleague, a client, a friend or family member, the Clinician Survivor Task Force of the American Association of Suicidology is a resource for information and support http://cliniciansurvivor.org/
2) For those who are interested in some mental health resources by and for black youth and adults, I would send some information that I gathered for a family in NYC whose teen is suicidal.
3) For those who are interested in mental health resources for people with TBI and suicidal thoughts, I would send some information that I have gathered for an area family.
Thursday, June 25, 2019 at DoubleTree by Hilton, Lawrence, KS
Info, including how to register: http://www.dccca.org/2019-douglas-county-behavioral-health-prevention-summit/
2019 Regional Missouri Suicide Prevention Conferences:
Finding Help and Hope in the Intersections of Despair
July 23 in Kansas City, MO; July 24 in Columbia, MO; July 25 in Cape Girardeau, MO
Building Partnerships to Address Suicide among Adolescents and Young Adults in Region 7 (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska)
Thursday, August 8, 2019 in Kansas City, MO
USA’s National Suicide Prevention Week
Sunday, September 8 – Saturday, September 14, 2019.
World Suicide Prevention Day is always on September 10.
SASS-MoKan 16th Annual Remembrance Walk
Sunday, September 8, 2019, starting at 9:00am. at Loose Park, 5200 Wornall Rd., KC, MO. For people bereaved by suicide. $25 charge includes registration and shirt. More info from Bonnie at email@example.com or http://www.sass-mokan.com/Sass-walk/
Words Save Lives 2019.09.10
Tuesday, September 10, 2019, our annualWorld Suicide Prevention Day event: performance night, to build connection and a sense of being valued for everyone at the mic and in the room. Lawrence, KS venue and more info to come from M.Epstein.LMSW@gmail.com and at https://www.facebook.com/events/399224907600627/
A Night To Remember
Friday, September 13, 2019 at Gage Park Amphitheater, Topeka, KS, “to celebrate our loved ones” who died by suicide. Contact Alicia Newberry at Alicia.Newberry@se2.com
7th Annual Shawnee County Suicide Prevention Coalition 5K Walk/Run
Saturday, September 14, 2019 at Crestview Shelter, Topeka, KS. For more info firstname.lastname@example.org Registration athttps://www.eventbrite.com/e/7th-annual-5k-runwalk-tickets-59713659162
13th annual Freedom of Expression retreat
October 12-13, 2019 at The Light Center in southern Douglas County, KS, our 13th annual retreat for people with loved ones who have died by suicide. More info to come from M.Epstein.LMSW@gmail.com
SASS-MoKan Healing and Hope for the Holidays
Saturday, November 16, 2019 from 1:00-3:00 pm at Shawnee Mission Hospital, Rogers Conference Center, Shawnee Mission, KS More info from Bonnie at email@example.com or http://www.sass-mokan.com/remembranceservices/
International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day community workshop
Saturday, November 23, 2019. Lawrence, KS venue and more info to come from M.Epstein.LMSW@gmail.com
53rd Annual Conference of the American Association of Suicidology
April 22-25, 2020 at the Marriott Downtown Waterfront, Portland, OR
Info will be available at https://www.suicidology.org/
During 2019, (TLC) in southern Douglas County, KS will host a variety of healing workshops for grief, including grief after death by suicide. Our “Thriving While Living With Suicide” Team in 2019 is M.E.; Robin Goff, BSN, RN, MAV, TLC founder and leader, energy healer, bereavement specialist; healer and bereavement specialist, Donna Hanschu; and Shannon Musgrave, Intuitive Medium. Donna and Shannon will be offering a workshop on “Signs & Symbols of Our Loved Ones” with date and location to be announced. Learn about TLC events on Facebook, through their e-newsletter, and at https://lightcenter.info
Very best wishes,
PS Love really IS the answer. Yet to those of us who have lost loved ones to suicide, I say: If love could have saved our loved ones, they would have lived forever.