Purple candle: living with suicide grief
Blue candle: living with suicide thoughts, self-harm, attempts
Yellow candle: supporting suicidal loved ones
So many have more than one of those experiences.
Especially to: Kansas City-Lawrence-Topeka Area Friends
Re: Reducing suicide risk by helping people thrive
- Healing After Suicide: for adults with loved ones who have died by suicide. Healing suicide grief reduces suicide risk. Meets every other Tuesday evening from 6:30-8:15pm More info at https://MarciaEpstein.biz
- Stayin’ Alive: for adults with suicide thoughts, self harm or attempts. Meeting schedule varies. https://www.facebook.com/Stayin.Alive.Lawrence.KS
- Thriving Family-Friends: for adults with suicidal loved ones. Meeting schedule varies. https://www.facebook.com/Thriving.FF.Lawrence.KS
- For info on Kansas City area groups: SASS-MoKan, Suicide Awareness Survivor Support, Kansas City area http://www.sass-mokan.com/
- For info on the group that meets in Topeka: HeALS Topeka, Healing After Loss To Suicide https://www.facebook.com/HEALsTopekaArea/
- For info about suicide bereavement and about groups in other parts of USA: from the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention https://afsp.org/find-support/ive-lost-someone/
1) For those of you who are mental health caregivers, who have experienced the suicide death of a colleague, a client, a friend or family member, the Clinician Survivor Task Force of the American Association of Suicidology is a resource for information and support http://cliniciansurvivor.org/
2) For those who are interested in some mental health resources by and for black youth and adults, I would send some information that I gathered for a family in NYC whose teen is suicidal.
3) For those who are interested in mental health resources for people with TBI and suicidal thoughts, I would send some information that I have gathered for an area family.
Thursday, June 25, 2019 at DoubleTree by Hilton, Lawrence, KS
Info, including how to register: http://www.dccca.org/2019-douglas-county-behavioral-health-prevention-summit/
2019 Regional Missouri Suicide Prevention Conferences:
Finding Help and Hope in the Intersections of Despair
July 23 in Kansas City, MO; July 24 in Columbia, MO; July 25 in Cape Girardeau, MO
Building Partnerships to Address Suicide among Adolescents and Young Adults in Region 7 (Iowa, Kansas, Missouri, Nebraska)
Thursday, August 8, 2019 in Kansas City, MO
USA’s National Suicide Prevention Week
Sunday, September 8 – Saturday, September 14, 2019.
World Suicide Prevention Day is always on September 10.
SASS-MoKan 16th Annual Remembrance Walk
Sunday, September 8, 2019, starting at 9:00am. at Loose Park, 5200 Wornall Rd., KC, MO. For people bereaved by suicide. $25 charge includes registration and shirt. More info from Bonnie at email@example.com or http://www.sass-mokan.com/Sass-walk/
Words Save Lives 2019.09.10
Tuesday, September 10, 2019, our annualWorld Suicide Prevention Day event: performance night, to build connection and a sense of being valued for everyone at the mic and in the room. Lawrence, KS venue and more info to come from M.Epstein.LMSW@gmail.com and at https://www.facebook.com/events/399224907600627/
A Night To Remember
Friday, September 13, 2019 at Gage Park Amphitheater, Topeka, KS, “to celebrate our loved ones” who died by suicide. Contact Alicia Newberry at Alicia.Newberry@se2.com
7th Annual Shawnee County Suicide Prevention Coalition 5K Walk/Run
Saturday, September 14, 2019 at Crestview Shelter, Topeka, KS. For more info firstname.lastname@example.org Registration athttps://www.eventbrite.com/e/7th-annual-5k-runwalk-tickets-59713659162
13th annual Freedom of Expression retreat
October 12-13, 2019 at The Light Center in southern Douglas County, KS, our 13th annual retreat for people with loved ones who have died by suicide. More info to come from M.Epstein.LMSW@gmail.com
SASS-MoKan Healing and Hope for the Holidays
Saturday, November 16, 2019 from 1:00-3:00 pm at Shawnee Mission Hospital, Rogers Conference Center, Shawnee Mission, KS More info from Bonnie at email@example.com or http://www.sass-mokan.com/remembranceservices/
International Survivors of Suicide Loss Day community workshop
Saturday, November 23, 2019. Lawrence, KS venue and more info to come from M.Epstein.LMSW@gmail.com
53rd Annual Conference of the American Association of Suicidology
April 22-25, 2020 at the Marriott Downtown Waterfront, Portland, OR
Info will be available at https://www.suicidology.org/
During 2019, (TLC) in southern Douglas County, KS will host a variety of healing workshops for grief, including grief after death by suicide. Our “Thriving While Living With Suicide” Team in 2019 is M.E.; Robin Goff, BSN, RN, MAV, TLC founder and leader, energy healer, bereavement specialist; healer and bereavement specialist, Donna Hanschu; and Shannon Musgrave, Intuitive Medium. Donna and Shannon will be offering a workshop on “Signs & Symbols of Our Loved Ones” with date and location to be announced. Learn about TLC events on Facebook, through their e-newsletter, and at https://lightcenter.info
Very best wishes,
PS Love really IS the answer. Yet to those of us who have lost loved ones to suicide, I say: If love could have saved our loved ones, they would have lived forever.
Specialist in life changes, reducing suicide risk,
and suicide bereavement support
Steering Committee Member, NAMI Douglas County
Lawrence, Kansas, USA